It is 5:40AM on Wednesday morning here in Changsha. Yesterday was an up and down day. We officially became the parents of Josiah after our civil affairs office visit. They only asked a few easy questions, and I think it was obvious to everyone that we were all very happy together. We have still been struggling to find a good schedule that works for all 6 of us, but we are getting through it. Josiah is used to getting up at 6am, taking a nap from 11-2, then in bed by 8. We have been getting up around 5am, eatting breakfast @8am, napping at noon, lunch at 2 or 3, possibly another nap, then dinner between 7-8, and in bed between 9-11.
Yesterday, we experienced Josiah's first temper tantrum. He has had quite a few little instances where he will whine for something and even get very angry, but yesterday was a total melt down for him. We took him to the play area here on our floor for about 30-45 minutes. Rachel was very tired and brought him back to the room, but he wanted to go back and play. When we did not go back he started screaming and kicking. I had to hold him for about 5 minutes while he continued to fight me and want to go. I must say, learning to speak Chinese has been very very helpful and I highly recommend to any one adopting from China to learn as much as you can. After he settled down I was able to tell him that if he could behave, I would let him watch some tv, he was happy with that. He was still pretty mad at me and wouldn't even look at me. But I got down along side him and told him that I loved him and without looking at me he told me that he loved me. I asked him if I could kiss him, which he doesn't really like because it tickles his face, and he said yes. I then gave him some oreos...yes oreos, and he was very happy again...even laughing. I am actually very happy that this happened as he will need to learn his limits. I think it is becoming obvious that at the orphanage he was allowed to pretty much do what he wanted, and he was the oldest child so he probably ruled the roost. Now with me as the new sheriff in town, it is going to take some getting used to, plus he will not be able to do what ever he wants. One of the things I have to remind myself is that he is only 5 years old, and he just turned 5 in June. He is going to do things that 5 year olds do, but we can't just allow it. It was very hard to discipline him in this way because of the life he has had and with his special need, but I know it is the correct thing to do, and it will only get better from here.
Today is a free day, and we are planning on going swimming again today. Still trying to get on a good schedule. This hotel even has a bowling alley on the 6th floor which we will visit tomorrow. I am looking forward to today as we have more freedom as to what we are doing. We have another free day on Thursday, and then on Friday we head to Guangzhou around 5, fly out at 8pm. I hear that most people are relieved to get to Guangzhou because of how nice it is and the more prominent western style. I did, however, look at the weather and it looks like it is going to be in the upper 80's and raining the whole time we are there. Plus the trade fair is going on and I heard that that the hotel we are staying at is right next to the trade fair headquarters. I am hopeful that things will continue to get better, even with the hot weather and the crowds of people. One thing I have found is that the Chinese believe that AC is good if it can cool down to 75; the restaurant that we ate at yesterday didn't have the AC on at all and it was about 80 degrees in there...it was like eating at my mom's house :)
I will try to update again tomorrow.
Brian
No comments:
Post a Comment